Eclipse Countdown and Notifications in TPE for iOS: Beta

Interesting - I’ll check that out! Thanks.

Yes, I would like very much to try the beta. Thanks

1 Like

I’m interested in trying the BETA - thanks so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is incredible! Sign me up, please!

1 Like

New beta invites sent - look out for an email from Apple TestFlight! Thanks for your interest - let me know how it goes…

Latest release notes for 4.14b569:

4.14 b569

• Non-eclipse related events (e.g. Moon Phase, Transit) are now never announced between C2 and C3, to avoid any unwanted interruptions to totality/annularity
  • Standby and other advance notifications will not interrupt a countdown notification (e.g. a standby for Max Eclipse will never interrupt a countdown to C2)
  • Icons added for Rehearsal and Live modes
  • Haptics added when Live mode is locked/unlocked
  • Notifications settings page added, with recommendations for configuration

The new Notifications Settings page should hopefully help ensure you have everything set up correctly to receive the event announcements on time - there are so many options nowadays, it’s easy to have things set up sub-optimally:

Please send in your feedback!

4.14 b570

• Additional announcements for Sunrise, Moonrise, C1, C2, Max Eclipse, C3, and C4
  • Warning icons shown if device location does not match event countdown and notifications location
  • UI fixes

More updates in this evening’s build.

The location warning is intended to give you a visual “heads up” if the location you have selected on the map, or the location for which notifications were configured, is not where you’re currently located.

Obviously, in those circumstances, the timings may be wrong for your device location.

If you’re within 1500m/~1mile of the location, you’ll see a green location arrow. Within 3000m/~2 miles it’ll be yellow. More than that and it will show as red.

One use case is to place the map pin at remote location (e.g. your hiking destination), enable notifications and then start hiking to the location, but it’s important to be aware that if the notification fires (e.g. C2 during an eclipse) and you’re 3 miles way, then you’re not going to be seeing the event at exactly that moment yourself - it’s happening 3 miles away.

1 Like

I would like to try the Eclipse Coundown app.
Thanks,
Dave Henry

1 Like

Just sent you an invitation!

4.14.1 update was just sent out - a few bug fixes and clean-up items. Please send in your feedback either via TestFlight or post here - thanks!

Looking forward to trying out the countdown!:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’d like to try the beta.

Great video this morning!

russelle

1 Like

@pawpro, @russelle - TestFlight invitations just sent! Welcome to the forum :+1:

1 Like

Looking forward to rehearsing

2 Likes

Strephen - Is the timer final version out? If not ,I would be interested in trying Beta version.

1 Like

Hi Sanjiv - welcome to the forum! I’ve sent you a TestFlight invitation.

The current App Version is 4.14.2, which has all the timer functionality in it. I have 4.14.3 waiting for review with Apple - that’s the current TestFlight version (bug fixes only).

Let me know how you find it!

I would love to try the beta version. Please let me know what I need to do. Thanks so much!

Hi @Lilrebel65 - we’re out of beta now. The new version, 4.14, is available in the App Store and you should have received the update if you’re allowing automatic app updates.

The app was a LIFE SAVER, thank you so much! The notifications did such an awesome job. Hope you got clear skies near Torreon, we got a few clear hours in Durango city :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Rosie - so glad you saw it. Things cleared up partly just in time here north of Torreón. The big upside of the clouds was that the 360 sunset effect was AMAZING. Orange in every direction.

1 Like