Attempt at an eclipse composite

I opened Photoshop for the first time in years to try to put some images together from last week’s eclipse. Here’s what I have so far:

The clouds required some extra work on masking, but my Photoshop skills are somewhat limited (I always have to Google every single thing I need to use).

Feedback on potential improvements appreciated!

4 Likes

I think it looks great, Stephen! The clouds on both ends make it unique.

You might try a version where your center image is a composite of both sides of proms.

Really nice, though!

1 Like

I’m not really competent to advise on processing technique, but I think Rick is on to something with his suggestion on the center image. Maybe this is where stacking some images might be useful. Nice composition though!

1 Like

Thanks! I reworked the centre shot - still a single exposure.

(Should I have slight qualms about combining two photos to look like one? Maybe not, but I’m hesitant - my inner pedant gets its way!)

2 Likes

You’ve already put 11 images together in a composite to make a compelling image. What’s one more? :slight_smile:

Seriously, I think it helps with continuity. For instance, the prom at the 5 o’clock position is missing in the center image but pops out in the one just to its right.

Everyone has to decide where their own comfort level is, but in an image that is obviously a composite, I see no harm. As you have noticed, I did two of them. One for 360º of proms and one with two diamond rings. I was honest on both of them about what I did. What bothers me is when someone does something and then is not honest about it.

Just my $0.02

1 Like

Definitely agree with that.

I take your point about the asymmetry. I’ll see if there’s a better candidate for the central image that’s maybe closer to max eclipse.

It’s fun to debate these things and I do appreciate the input!

1 Like

Well done Stephen! Your 11 shots are spectacular!!

As for another idea: arrangement not in a straight line; exaggerate the time scale; interpolate your shots rounded to some fixed interval between C2 and C3; arrange 5 to the left and right of center as you’ve already done, but along an arc similarly exaggerated suggestive of change of azimuth and altitude; layout spacing between shots maybe could be increased a little to suit new aspect ratio while maintaining isolated autonomy at the center.

1 Like