Aurora this weekend

I’m guessing you’re all following this?

I remember seeing that G5 Halloween storm in 2003 from southern Ontario. It was amazing - but I had no camera :face_with_diagonal_mouth:.

2 Likes

It was a G5 last night, and it is continuing, with a good possibility of being in the same range tonight. It was spectacular in West Virginia. Visible to the naked eye, though not with bright colors, and brilliant in the camera. It was all around me even this far south. I actually shot the aurora borealis facing south! I was fortunate to have a cloudy and rainy pattern break temporarily in the early evening. Not sure I’ll be that lucky tonight.

Dave

1 Like

My first shot from last night, at Bear Rocks Preserve in WV. And for the record, I did use TPE to pre-scout some compositions to the north. But that became moot when the event happened, because it was all around me!

Dave

3 Likes

Lovely shot Dave. That’s what I need to find for tonight - some decent foregrounds. It’s tricky scouting new locations in the dark though!

2 Likes

I unfortunately missed the strong solar storm on May 10, but on May 11 there was something to see again.

2 Likes

Very nice - whereabouts were you for these? We decided not to head out again on Saturday as it looked like a minimum three hour drive north for less than we’d seen on Friday night. Plus I was already sleep deprived!

1 Like

This was https://maps.app.goo.gl/kGnsMW69QyYPRUNDA
(North of Switzerland)

1 Like