Day/Night Terminator Line and Sub-solar Point

v3.14 of the Photo Ephemeris Web now displays the day/night terminator line and the sub-solar point on the map at lower zoom levels. Here’s a quick demo:

Day/Night Terminator

This line is an approximate representation of the set of points on the surface of the Earth that lie at the transition from day to night. It is useful for getting a quick sense of where the area of daylight (or night) lies at a glance. The movement of the terminator across the day and through the seasons can give a quick intuitive sense of how the sun is moving.

Additionally, ahead of the addition of more weather data to TPE, the terminator allows for a very quick assessment of weather conditions around the times of sunrise and sunset.

Note: the terminator line does not coincide exactly with local sunrise - sunrise etc. accounts refraction and the semi-diameter of the Sun, elevation above sea level and so on. However, it’s usually pretty close.

Sub-solar Point

In the latter part of the short video, you may notice a small black Sun icon moving on the map over the Pacific. That shows the point on Earth where the Sun lies directly overhead (i.e. altitude of 90 degrees, or a zenith angle of zero). The point moves westward with the rotation of the Earth around its own axis, and north/south between the tropics with the change of the seasons.

Let me know what you think - this is up now at app.photoephemeris.com

Very cool!

(adding more words to get up to the minimum to post)

1 Like

Yeah - that minimum characters thing is annoying! I’ll have to see where that’s configured…

This is now released to production.

I like it. I notice, however that it disappears and reappears at zoom level between 30 and 50km. 20 and 50 on Google maps. Is this intentional behavior?

Oh, I just noticed that the tool tip for PM Golden is titled "End of Golden Hour.

1 Like

Are you comparing the scale controls on the different map types? I think they may just have different thresholds for what they display. Internally, the day/night terminator is shown/hidden at the same zoom level on both map types.

But let me know if that’s not it!