Perseids and Aurora

I came back from a couple of ours sat perched on a rock up on Baslow Edge here in Derbyshire thinking I hadn’t captured much. I thought I’d counted two meteors in all that time, but it seems there were at least four, three of which I caught on camera.

The aurora was well to the north, but visible to the naked eye - there turned out to be quite a bit more structure visible than I’d thought when processed the images:

It had begun to fade a little by the time I managed to catch a couple of meteors:

The last meteor of the shoot turned out by far the best:

My shooting location is here - very convenient location, with nearby parking. View in the photos is NNE more or less in the direction of the radiant point of the Perseids.

Did anyone else get out to shoot them?

The below were taken Monday night, in West Virginia. I went to Bear Rocks Preserve to see about capturing the aurora, the Perseids, or both. I pretty much got neither, though there were some pretty skies. There was a bit of glow from the last gasp of the severe geomagnetic storm earlier in the day at dusk, but it faded quickly. Then clouds moved in to obscure any meteors that may have shown. In both cases the moon was bright enough to nicely illuminate the rocks and trees, which salvaged the scene.

Dave

1 Like

Got this from Olmsted Point in Yosemite. The aurora was incredible with visible pillars. Unreal!

1 Like

Picture taken in the Karwendel Mountains in the morning of August 12th. Aurora in the left part of the sky, meteor in the right.
There were not many meteors (much less than I expected) and only very few bright ones.

1 Like

Glad you caught it! I agree - there seemed to be far fewer meteors than I’d expected. Although it’s been a few years since I headed out for the Perseids.

I suspect that while we think we’re watching a large portion of the sky, it’s likely far less than we imagine! The camera caught more meteors than I noticed myself.

1 Like

Hi,
13 August after midnight my plan was take Perseids photos and Aurora photos if possible. I was lucky, Aurora blasted the sky. I took about 400 pics during almost 2hour session. Few of them I found Perseids.
Pictures are south - east of Helsinki

1 Like

The aurora activity was a surprise. Living in the SE US we don’t think about it so much. But I had planned a family trip to a dark area to see the Perseids. We stayed in a house in a mountain cove near Lovingston, VA US. Our view to the North and East was limited by high hills and trees, but the red glow was noticeable to the eyes and very apparent to a 30 second exposure.

I shot with a Sony A7iv and a GoPro. Wow did that GoPro have hot pixels and they got worse as it ran. I ran it, shooting 30 second exposures until sunrise. Stopped shooting with the Sony about 2am.

Putting final touches on my composite of 13 meteors capture by the a7iv.

I am thinking about a composite from the GoPro as it captured about 12 meteors. The volume really did not seem to pick up as the night progressed.

I put all the shot sequences together in a video clip. You can really see the aurora activity around 1-2am EDT.

3 Likes